Virtual Space and Immateriality. VRtransFORM
- Ana Daniela Anton / PhD. assist. Arch., “Ion Mincu” University of Architecture and Urbanism, Bucharest, RO
- Melania Dulămea / assoc. prof. PhD. Arch., “Ion Mincu” University of Architecture and Urbanism, Bucharest, RO
- Ionuț Anton / assoc. prof. PhD. Arch., “Ion Mincu” University of Architecture and Urbanism, Bucharest, RO
This article deals with how the virtual space offered by the latest virtual reality (VR) technologies with multiple users is designed, curated and filled with meaning and content for the purpose of making an exhibition of the architectural projects of UAUIM students.
It investigates how the pedagogical process can incorporate new digital tools and how students are introduced to new technologies from a critical perspective in order to gain new skills that will be useful in future architectural practice. We seek to discover how architectural design can be adapted to the new digital tools, how spaces will be designed in virtual reality and how we can prepare ourselves as architects to play an active role in the future of metaverse.
We also explore how an academic community can coagulate around a virtual space and how research and teaching can be expanded and transformed by using new digital tools. We aim to discover how virtual reality can encourage research with an emphasis on innovation.
virtual reality (VR), immateriality, virtual exhibition, digital technologies, virtual space, community
- Ambasz, E. (1969). The Formulation of a Design Discourse. Perspecta, 12, (pp. 57–70).
- Bell, D. (2009). Cyberculture Theorists: Manuel Castells and Donna Haraway. T & F Books UK.
- Beorkrem, C. (2017). Material strategies in digital fabrication. Routledge.
- Bijker, W. E., Hughes, T. P. și Pinch, T. (2012). The Social Construction of Technological Systems, anniversary edition: New Directions in the Sociology and History of Technology. MIT Press.
- Colomina, B., Galán, I. G., Kotsioris, E., și Meister, A.-M. (Ed.). (2022). Radical Pedagogies. MIT Press.
- Couchez, E. și Heynickx, R. (2021). Introduction: A passage to material hermeneutics. În Architectural Education Through Materiality. Routledge.
- Fetro, S. (2010). Suprarealități digitale. Design și arhitectură: Arte de fricțiune. În T. Heinzel (Ed.), Artă, spațiu și memorie în epoca digitală (pp. 55–70). Paideia.
- Graser, K., Baur, M., Apolinarska, A. A., Dörfler, K., Hack, N., Jipa, A. și Kohler, M. (2020). DFAB HOUSE—A Comprehensive Demonstrator of Digital Fabrication in Architecture. în Fabricate 2020: making resilient architecture, 4(2020), 130-139.
- Grosz, E. (2001). Architecture from the Outside: Essays on Virtual and Real Space. The MIT Press.
- Kolata, S. (2022). The Metaverse as Opportunity for Architects: An Interview with Patrik Schumacher. ArchDaily. https:// www.archdaily.com/980196/the-metaverse-as-opportunity-for-architects-an-interview-with-patrik-schumacher
- Lawn, M. și Grosvenor, I. (2005). Materialities of Schooling: Design, technology, objects, routines. Symposium Books Ltd.
- Nitsche, M. (2009). Video Game Spaces: Image, Play, and Structure in 3D Worlds. The MIT Press.
- Picon, A. (2010). The Seduction of Innovative Geometries. În Digital culture in architecture: An introduction for the design professions (pp. 60–72). Birkhäuser: Springer Verlag.
- Qvortrup, L. (2002). Cyberspace as Representation of Space Experience: In Defence of a Phenomenological Approach. În L. Qvortrup, J. F. Jensen, E. Kjems, N. Lehmann, și C. Madsen (Ed.), Virtual Space: Spatiality in Virtual Inhabited 3D Worlds (pp. 5–24). Springer.
- Ravenscraft, E. (2022). What Is the Metaverse, Exactly? Wired. https://www.wired.com/story/what-is-the-metaverse/ Sheil, R., Menges, A., Glynn, R. și Skavara, M. (2017). Fabricate 2017 (pp. 1-304). UCL Press.