Textile Space – Versatile Space
- Beatrice-Gabriela Jöger / prof. arch. PhD habil., “Ion Mincu” University of Architecture and Urbanism, Bucharest, RO
Beyond the imperative of necessity in the last year, which changed the perception and use of many spaces and functions, the built space already "demanded", through its users, a flexibility, a multifunctionality, a different approach. It is true that this trend is expressed especially by the millenials and Z generations, who often adopt a minimalist lifestyle, flexible to change and open to nomadism in order to gain experience and expertise in one field or another. On the other hand, the multifunctionality of spaces is not a new approach. It has existed for thousands of years and is documented by the history of architecture, which is why I will not develop this direction.
In the last year, the most required space to become multifunctional was the private space, the house, our home. The imposition of work from home or home schooling created the need for it to host several functions simultaneously or sequentially, necessary to be reflected in a certain flexibility/versatility in spatial and/or interior design.
This adaptability can be achieved with the help of textiles. Although an ephemeral material by its very nature and seen for several thousand years as an "accessory" of construction, contemporary technical possibilities allow a return to the origins of its use and the realization of true structures (interior and exterior) that have many advantages over traditional building materials: low weight, flexibility, easy assembly/disassembly, plus a number of important physical and even psychological characteristics.
Starting from the study of some examples of applications of contemporary textile materials, I will argue their ”predisposition” to solve architectural problems in private spaces necessary to be versatile.
Textiles are a (re)source that has started to be used more intensively in the last 15 years, but is far from reaching its full potential in the field of architecture.
textiles, home, flexible space, versatility
- * * * (1994). Versatile. În Webster’s Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language (New York/Avenel: Gramercy Books, p. 1588)
- * * * (2016). L’Œuvre architecturale de Le Corbusier, une contribution exceptionnelle au Mouvement Moderne. Unesco.org. https://whc.unesco.org/fr/list/1321
- Academia Română, Institutul de Lingvistică ”Iorgu Iorda – Al. Rosetti” (2016). Dicționarul explicativ al limbii române (ediția a II-a revăzută și adăugită, tiraj 2016 îmbogățit și completat). București: Editura Univers Enciclopedic Gold.
- Campioli, A., Mangiarotti, A., Zanelli, A. (2008). Textile Architecture in the Italian Context. International Journal of Space Structures, Vol.23 No. 4 ( pp. 201-206). Brentwood, Essex: Multi-Science Publishing Co. Ltd.
- De Botton, A. (2009). Arhitectura fericirii. Arta secretă de a-ți decora viața. București: Vellant.
- Design Council (2020). A Public Vision for the Home of 2030. London.
- Eckert, R. (15.05.2019). Shadow games with pantyhose. www.techtextil-blog.com. https://www.techtextil-blog.com/en/shadow-games-with-pantyhose/
- Garcia, M. (2006). Architecture+Textiles=Architextiles. În Architectural Design 2006/11 (pp.5-11)
- Goss, L. (2020, mai 26). How to avoid work-from-home burnout. thehomeworker. https://www.thehomeworker.com/how-to-avoid-work-from-home-burnout/
- The Irony of Fate. (2021). În Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Irony_of_Fate&oldid=1030148027
- JÖGER, B.-G. (2020). Sustenabilitatea materialelor textile: de la tradiție la supertehnologie. Prezentare susținută la Atelierele de la Sibiu: Portretul unei schimbări de paradigmă: revoluția sustenabilității, 2-3 Octombrie 2020
- Le Corbusier (1960). Tapisseries Muralnomad. În Zodiac, Milano, nr.7/1960 (pp.57-63)
- Pallasmaa, J. (2015). Privirea care atinge: arhitectura și simțurile. București: Editura Fundației Arhitext Design.
- Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) (8.10.2020). Pandemic reveals demand for UK home transformations. RIBA Architecture. https://www.architecture.com/knowledge-and-resources/knowledge-landing-page/pandemic-reveals-demand-for-uk-home-transformations
- RIBA Competitions Evaluation Panel (Freeman, P., Morgan, S., Kinsella, S., Porteus, J., Sullivan, L.) (2020). Winners: Igloo Regeneration, Useful Projects, Mawson Kerr Architects, with Cast, Elliot Wood, Expedition and Landsmith Associates. ribacompetitions. https://www.ribacompetitions.com/homeof2030/H232.html
- RIBA Competitions Evaluation Panel (Freeman, P., Morgan, S., Kinsella, S., Porteus, J., Sullivan, L.) (2020) Winners: Openstudio Architects with Gardiner & Theobald and Hoare Lea. ribacompetitions. https://www.ribacompetitions.com/homeof2030/H554.html
- Zamfir, R. (23.06.2020). Furnizorii de materiale de construcţii ar putea ajunge, în 2020, la afaceri de 35 de miliarde de lei. Economica.net. https://www.economica.net/furnizorii-de-materiale-de-constructii-ar-putea-ajunge-in-2020-la-afaceri-de-35-de-miliarde-de-lei_186267.html
- Zumthor, P. (2006). Atmospheres. Basel; Boston, Berlin: Birkauser Verlag AG.