LIMITLESS – Generative Design
- Călin Crudu / PhD.c. arch., “Ion Mincu” University of Architecture and Urbanism, Bucharest, RO
Generative Design lead to complexity and diversity. New boundaries are explored, as the current ones are exceeded, whether we refer to shapes, performance, sustainability etc. Moreover, architects are forced to overcome their credos and to take on additional roles as coordinators of the digital process based on experiments and knowledge, which stimulates and takes creative capacities to new levels. This new approach in design, which employs current technological skills, allows the discovery of new nuances of built spaces and extends beyond possible limitations of the human mind. Computer programs are interpreting codes and algorithms, maximizing shapes, generating optimal results in a versatile process which continues to evolve with each new variable.
generative design, complexity, hierarchy, topology
- Alexander, C. (1964). Notes on the synthesis of Form - Harvard University Press.
- Basu, P. (2018). Artificial intelligence in architecture: Generating conceptual design via deep learning – Research Article, Volume: 16 issue: 4.
- Carpo, M (2017). The Second Digital Turn – Design Beyond Intelligence. MIT Press.
- Davis, D. (2020). Generative Design is doomed to fail – web article: https://www.danieldavis.com/generative-design-doomed-to-fail/
- Emmer, M. (2010). The Idea of Space, from Topology to Virtual Architecture. XIII Generative Art Conference – Politecnico di Milano, Italy.
- Kolarevic, B. (Ed.). (2003). Architecture in the Digital Age: Design and Manufacturing (1st ed.). Taylor & Francis. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203634561
- Manoliu, R.M. (2011). Dialogul concretului cu virtualul în arhitectura modernă: metafora spațiului arhitectural. Doctoral thesis – University of Architecture and Urbanism “Ion Mincu”
- Rohrmann, J. (2019). Design Optimization in Early Project Stages - A Generative Design Approach to Project Development. Lucrare de master – Technical University of Munich.
- Ruber, J. ( 2011). Generative Process in Architectural Design. Doctoral Thesis – The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts
- Schwartz, B. ( 2021). Paradoxul alegerii. De ce mai mult este mai puțin – Editura Curtea Veche.
- Schwartz, Y. (2020). Generative Design is here to stay – article: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/generative-design-here-stay-yair-schwartz-phd/?fbclid=IwAR2Cfj_u8JGPr1UxpP9wbQh4iU7Fc2SMxRDKm_f-B6cAwAONYmGB78xqXBQ