Adaptive architecture. Interaction with the built environment
- Ionuț Dohotariu / assist. PhDc. arch., “Gheorghe Asachi ” Technical University, Iași, RO
Contemporary society suffers from a constant acceleration of the way of life, mainly caused by technology. Given that the perceptual system of human beings is a holistic one (the whole body is influenced by the senses, which in turn alters the way of thinking), the architecture response of the status of change, remodeling and adaptation of the contemporary ethos is the emergence of new forms of architecture based on the absorption of research and innovation from other fields. Adaptive architecture is a multidisciplinary field that aims to generate customizable spaces, by changing the interior organization, in order to ensure new functional features, but also by adjusting the structural and closing elements. The adaptation of the architectural space is based on the distinction between "adaptive architecture" (ie the one specifically designed to adapt to the environment, inhabitants and component objects) and "adaptable architecture" (actually, any architectural object). Why do we need adaptive architecture? The relevance of studying this field is found in the purpose of this phenomenon - creating a new form of architecture responsible for mediating the interaction between man and computer, the automation of processes necessary to redesign the interior space, and reducing energy and resource consumption.
In the case of adaptive architecture, users are directly and constantly involved in the act of designing and customizing the environment. The sensory and technological dimension of adaptive architecture is able to record and process the user's response to changes in environmental parameters, thus, creating the paradigm of a sensitive architecture, which is constantly improving by adding new data sets, compared to previous results. . Adaptive architecture does not offer a final solution, but a series of iterations that allow the user to modify it as needed, while providing a more appropriate response to the search for spatial archetypes, the primary image of "home" than conventional buildings. Using exploratory research, the paper presents the current stage of development of the field, highlights the cyclical changes to which the architectural object is subjected in terms of exploring the spatio-temporal layers that make up its existence and evaluates the development directions of the adaptive architecture in terms of the principles governing its existence (reconfiguration, flexibility, interactivity). The results obtained indicate that the development of adaptive architecture is still in its infancy, with innovations being closely linked to innovations in related fields. Addressing the complex problems faced by interactive architectural systems can be solved by generating a new paradigm in systems science - new possibilities of using space by designing interactions (for example, the collaboration of computer science with psychology).
adaptive architecture, change, process, reconfiguration, flexibility, automation
- AD Classics: Maison Bordeaux / OMA. (2011, ianuarie 25). ArchDaily. https://www.archdaily.com/104724/ad-classics-maison-bordeaux-oma
- Bier, H., & Mostafavi, S. (2016). Robotic Building as Physically Built Robotic Environments and Robotically Supported Building Processes (pp. 253–271). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-30028-3_12
- Brand, S. (1995). How Buildings Learn: What Happens After They’re Built (Reprint). Penguin Books.
- Canguilhem, G. (1952). La Connaissance de la vie (pp. 125-59). Hachette: Tournon.
- Coardoș, D., și Marinescu, I. (2020). Monitorizarea stării de sănătate a persoanelor în vârstă la domiciliu. Casele inteligente – provocări și tendințe. Revista Română de Informatică și Automatică, 30, (pp. 9–26). https://doi.org/10.33436/v30i1y202001
- Cognitive science. (2021). În Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Cognitive_science&oldid=1026263948
- Dalsgaard, P., și Halskov, K. (2010). Designing urban media façades: Cases and challenges. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings, 4, (pp. 2277–2286). https://doi.org/10.1145/1753326.1753670
- Dong, B., și Andrews, B. (2009). Sensor-based occupancy behavioral pattern recognition for energy and comfort management in intelligent buildings. IBPSA 2009 - International Building Performance Simulation Association 2009.
- Eastman, C. M. (1971). Adaptive conditional architecture (pp. 51-7). Pittsburgh: Carnegie-Mellon University.
- Favoino, F., Loonen, R., Doya, M., Goia, F., Bedon, C., și Babich, F. (2018). Building Performance Simulation and Characterisation of Adaptive Facades—Adaptive Facades Network (pp. 21-3).
- History of the Internet. (2021). În Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=History_of_the_Internet&oldid=1031195406
- Inteligență artificială. (2021). În Wikipedia. https://ro.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Inteligen%C8%9B%C4%83_artificial%C4%83&oldid=14238625
- Jaskiewicz, T. J. (2013). Towards a methodology for complex adaptive interactive architecture. (pp. 3-4, 10, 22-6, 62) [s.n.].
- Kronenburg, R. (2008). Portable Architecture: Design and Technology. Birkhäuser. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-7643-8325-1
- Kurokawa, K. (1977). Kisho Kurokawa: Metabolism in Architecture (pp. 105-11) (1 ed). Studio Vista.
- Luxembourg Philharmonic—Data, Photos & Plans. (f.a.). WikiArquitectura. Preluat în 2 ianuarie 2021, din https://en.wikiarquitectura.com/building/luxembourg-philharmonic/
- Maison à Bordeaux. (f.a.). OMA. Preluat în 2 ianuarie 2021, din https://oma.eu/projects/maison-a-bordeaux
- Mathew, A. (2021). Aesthetic Interaction A Model for Re-thinking the Design of Place. Synthetic Landscapes [Proceedings of the 25th Annual Conference of the Association for Computer-Aided Design in Architecture] pp. 278-291.
- Mathews, S. (2005). The Fun Palace: Cedric Price’s experiment in architecture and technology. Technoetic Arts, 3 (pp.73–92). https://doi.org/10.1386/tear.3.2.73/1
- Maturana, H. R., Varela, F. J., și Beer, S. (1980). Autopoiesis and cognition: The realization of the living (pp. 8-11, 79). Dordrecht: D. Reidel Pub. Co.
- Nabil, S., Kirk, D., Ploetz, T., și Wright, P. (2017). Designing future ubiquitous homes with OUI Interiors: Possibilities and challenges. Interaction Design and Architecture(s) (pp. 28–37).
- Pask, G. (1969). The architectural relevance of cybernetics. Architectural Design, 39, (pp. 494–496).
- Perry, C., și Manferdini, A. M. (2010). Anticipatory Architecture | Extrapolative Design. LIFE in:formation, On Responsive Information and Variations in Architecture: Proceedings of the 30th Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA) (pp. 307-8).
- Rabeneck, A. (1969). Cybermation: A Useful Dream. Architectural Design, 9, (pp.497-500).
- Schnädelbach, H. (2010). MediaCity: Interaction of Architecture, Media and Social Phenomena. Adaptive Architecture—A Conceptual Framework (pp. 523-554).
- Sharifi-ha House / Next Office–Alireza Taghaboni. (2014, iulie 7). ArchDaily. https://www.archdaily.com/522344/sharifi-ha-house-nextoffice
- Sliding House by dRMM in action. (2009, martie 9). ArchDaily. https://www.archdaily.com/16082/sliding-house-by-drmm-in-action
- Sterk, T. (2005). Building upon Negroponte: A hybridized model of control suitable for responsive architecture. Automation in Construction, 14 (pp. 225–232). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2004.07.003
- Suite Vollard. (2020). În Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Suite_Vollard&oldid=975443043
- Varela, F. J. (1979). Principles of biological autonomy (pp. 565). North Holland.
- Wiener, N. (2007). Cybernetics or control and communication in the animal and the machine (pp. 95-115) (2. ed., 14. print). MIT Press.
- Wilkinson, P. (2017). Phantom Architecture (pp. 143-7, 198-202). Simon & Schuster Ltd.
- Yiannoudes, S. (2016). Architecture and adaptation: From cybernetics to tangible computing. New York: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.
- Zero Science Lab. (2019). I Own Your Building (Management System) (pp. 7, 62-3) [Technology]. https://www.slideshare.net/zeroscience/i-own-your-building-management-system