Pandemic Heterotopias. Rediscovering the Home
- Codruța Iana / lecturer PhD arch., “Ion Mincu” University of Architecture and Urbanism, Bucharest, RO
The article explores the impact of the pandemic situation on residential functions. In general, the rules of social distance and protection have given residents a different perspective on housing. Suddenly, the home was the whole scene of life, replacing what could no longer be accessed in the public space: socializing, sports, entertainment, work, etc. It was normal then for residential spaces and functions to undergo transformations. These metamorphoses have crept into homes, defining spaces so as to serve the general situation. I analyzed some aspects that the pandemic state has influenced or changed into "different spaces", heterotopias such as those described by the philosopher Michel Foucault. Crisis spaces, in times of crisis.
The research started from his own experience, as an architectural designer, and developed into a broader view of the general situation. The conclusion is that these "different spaces" are the result of human adaptation to the pandemic and prove once again the ability to survive, always looking for a state of balance.
pandemic, heterotopia, residential
- Bachelard, G. (2003). Poetica spaţiului. (I. Bădescu, Trans.) Pitești :Paralela 45.
- Foster, N. (2020). The pandemic will accelerate the evolution of our cities. The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/24/pandemic-accelerate-evolution-cities-covid-19-norman-foster?fbclid=IwAR2-PSRchpBVPJ-HuFXEwrPxcQGy4uoojPk3ZvxfLMYPjPFbC5ay-VwqY8o
- Foucault, M. (1994). Dits et écrits, vol. IV. (Bogdan Ghiu, Trans). Paris :Gallimard.
- Heidegger M. (1982). Originea operei de artă. (Thomas Kleininger și Gabriel Liiceanu Trans) București: Univers.
- Le Corbusier. (1986). Towards a New Architecture, New York : Courier Corporation..
- Movilă A. (2020), ”Architecture matters. Towards antifragility in the Post Pandemic Era”. Conferința SHARE 2020 : https://share-architects.com/architecture-matters-towards-antifragility-in-the-post-pandemic-era/?fbclid=IwAR0A57ye6s9fLlC0hgNXY6rLbZ48lkHqjxTM1pfndUd2pkJiaccs402S9p4
- McKay, M. (2020), When Life Feels Like a House Fire: Transforming Your COVID-19 Stress, New York: SkipJack Publishing
- Robinson, S., Pallasmaa, J. (2015). Mind in Architecture: Neuroscience, Embodiment, and the Future of Design, London: The MIT Press
- Simionescu, V. (2020). Încotro. În Buzdugan, R. (2020). Spații sigure 2(m)-020, (p.214), București: ebook
- Squire, L. R. (2009). Encyclopedia of Neuroscience, vol. 1. San Diego: Academic Press
- Vitruviu. (1964). Despre arhitectură. București: Editura Academiei Republicii populare Române
- Wolschke-Bulmahn J., Clark. ( 2021). From Garden Art to Landscape Architecture: Traditions, Re-Evaluations, and Future Perspectives, Munchen: Akademische Verlagsgemeinschaft